Sunday, November 08, 2009

Milestones

Dave and I were putting clothes away last night after Daniel went to bed and we started swapping out 3-6 month clothes for 6-9 month clothes. It made me a little sad to realize that my baby boy is growing so fast. We're still counting his age in weeks, so I know this is nothing compared to how fast it will go when we're counting by months or years, but I still feel it.
Today I left Daniel with Dave for an hour and a half while I went to the grocery store. It was the first time I'd been away from him and I did surprisingly well. I was in a hurry to get there, get what I needed and get back in time to go to a friend's house for dinner, so I didn't have much time to worry about them. They did okay, but Daniel was kinda fussy.
We gave Daniel a bottle for the first time last Saturday. I sat downstairs and cried while Dave gave it to him upstairs. He ate it right up and I didn't know whether to be glad that he took it so well or disappointed that he didn't reject it because it wasn't me. We've given him a bottle twice more since then and he did fine. I'm doing better too. After talking about it with some friends, I'm finally convinced that it will be helpful for him to be able to take a bottle and I did feel better leaving him today knowing that Dave could give him some milk while I was gone. I'm trying to make sure I pump at least a little bit every day or two and it's easier than I thought it would be. All that said, though, I still like feeding him myself the best.
Daniel has been smiling and laughing a lot. Sometimes he just cracks up, which of course cracks us up! He's started reaching for things and grasping them. He's enjoyed laying on his play mat and looking at the items hanging down and he likes to hit the one that plays music. He's been sucking on his fist or his fingers for a while, but today he managed to suck just his thumb for the first time. At this stage, he's growing and changing so much and it seems like he does something new every day. It's really fun to watch and we're trying hard to soak it all up and cherish these days.

2 comments:

Christine said...

Aww! It looks like you are enjoying every minute!

Sister George said...

They do grow and change quickly! Cherich this time with Daniel. It goes by so fast and yes it does seem like there is something new, all the time!

BTW, great pictures!