Thursday, November 26, 2009

Count Your Blessings

We were at my parents' church this morning for the annual Thanksgiving service. Someone mentioned in a prayer about counting our blessings and God knowing that we are truly grateful as we do so. As she prayed that, my mind recounted the words of the old hymn sung so often in western Kenya: "Count your blessings, name them one by one. Count your blessing, see what God has done. Count your blessings, name them one by one. And it will surprise you what the Lord has done."

For me right now, I need to count my blessings not so much for God to hear my gratitude but to cultivate an attitude of thankfulness. To see what God has done. I am so blessed. I have a wonderful husband, a beautiful, healthy baby boy and a fabulous family. We have a safe, warm place to live and plenty of food to eat. We have clothes to wear and cars that still run. Dave has a good, secure job. There's so much more, but that's certainly enough to be thankful for.

Our pastor often says, "Even if God doesn't do another thing, he's already done enough for me to praise him." I need to be reminded of that sometimes, but it's so true!

No comments: