Tuesday, December 15, 2009

And then the house was gone!

Daniel and I were taking a nap this afternoon when I heard a big truck on the street outside. I didn't think much about it (except hoping it wasn't a package coming to our house and so I wouldn't have to get up to answer the door!) I still heard it when we got up - sounded like they were digging up the street or something.

We looked out the window and saw that the house on the corner was gone and a pile of rubble was in it's place. It was a sad house - falling apart, missing windows and the front door wide open - but it's been part of our landscape and I was a little disappointed to know that it's gone (is that crazy!?). If I'd known they were tearing it down, I would have at least taken a picture of it first.

It's sad to me because it's something familiar that's gone, but I think it's more that in it I could see hope for restoration - even though realistically it would probably never happen. I could see its former beauty and now that it's demolished, restoration of the house as it was can never be. Maybe something better will grown in its place, but it can never again be as it was intended. I guess that's how life is too, sometimes.

Forget the former things;
do not dwell on the past.
See, I am doing a new thing!
Now it springs up; do you not perceive it?
I am making a way in the desert
and streams in the wasteland.
- Isaiah 43:18-19

So be it.

No comments: