Tuesday, August 19, 2008

At Home with the Boys

One day last week I had 8 boys playing at my house. D had gone with me to the bank and grocery store, and wanted some cereal when we got back since we had gotten milk while we were out. There were a few more boys around when we got home so I invited them in as well. The next thing I knew, we went from 4 boys eating cereal at the table to 8 boys doing puzzles, playing with legos, helping me cook, and playing with our giant pick-up sticks game. 5 of them stayed for dinner to try what they’d helped cook. They had a lot of fun and I enjoyed having them here. It’s exciting to see our relationship with each of them developing and to know that they feel comfortable and loved at our house. While we were cooking, one of them said that he wished I were his mom, and I had no idea how to respond. I don’t know his mom or if he even has a mom in his life, so I couldn’t tell him that he has his own great mom. All I could think to say was that I’m happy to be his neighbor.




5 comments:

Anonymous said...

where in Detroit do you live? It is great that you can have the boys come and hang out at your house.

Anonymous said...

and what is your phone and social security number? And what are you wearing?

Nice to see you back. We'd missed you.

Sarah Halter said...

We live a few miles from downtown.

Julie said...

That sounds like a lot of fun!

Rita Loca said...

You are a great asset to your neighbors. They seem to be having a blast!