Monday, January 28, 2008

Violence continues in Kenya

I only have a minute, so I can't go into much explanation of the situation at the moment, but I'd like to ask you to pray for the oldest son in my host family, Denny, and his wife, who live in Nakuru. Brian (right), the oldest of the three boys living at my house, is Denny's son.

More violence has broken out in Nakuru and Naivasha in the rift valley, in retaliation for violence earlier against Kikuyus. Much of the violence is against Luos, but also against Luhyas, which is the ethnic group my family comes from.

Like I said, I don't have time to go into much explanation, but I do want you all to know that this is not a simple case of "ethnic violence" like much of the western media typically presents about conflict in Africa. There are, as always, so many deep roots to the situation, and the U.S. and Europe have certainly had a role to play economically in many of the root issues in this conflict in Kenya. I'm sure many of you understand, but I know that the media tends to simplify these situations and it sometimes comes across as "those backwards Africans who kill each other in tribal wars and don't know how to handle democracy." That is not the case AT ALL and I just want that to be clear.

Got to go. Thanks for your prayers for Denny and his family, and please keep praying for peace with justice.

No comments: