Sunday, November 19, 2006

Getting unstuck

Today was a fun day. I spent the night at the pastor’s house last night, so that I could be at church to teach today. It is rainy now and it took 45 minutes to get out of the compound in the car because of the mud. We tried one way, but we got stuck. Pastor put me behind the wheel and I reversed back into the compound, got stuck again and then finally got us out – with LOTS of pulling and pushing. It was definitely an adventure. After that, I drove all the way to church (this is an accomplishment, by the way), without sliding off the road anywhere. Muddy dirt roads are like driving on ice. Anyway, it was all like an adventure. Pastor asked me to help him learn better how to reverse. I told him I would bring a matchbox car so that he could see it well. There really aren’t too many places around to practice driving, and especially so in the rainy season when there are some very muddy and impassable places.

Church was good. We had a shortened service since we were so late, and I was home by 2:00, which was really nice for a change. Hurray! I like my church here, but 4 hours is a long time. I listened to 2 sermons from my Detroit pastor, read some and played with the boys. It’s nice to have a day to rest.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sarah - I didn't know you're driving there! You are so brave... I have been thinking of you often and pray for you when I do. I sent you a letter in Sep. and have been meaning to write more - I am so bad at this (apologies!). When do you leave for Mozambique? BTW, the posts from your parents visit brought tears to my eyes - I was imagining how wonderful their visit must have been for you! It is fun for me to see you get closer to the end, especially since I only really "knew" you when you were months away from any reunions. Hang in there!!!