Tuesday, October 13, 2009

It’s been a while, huh? Lately, I’ve either felt like I didn’t have anything to say or haven’t had any time to say it. That’s not such a good thing, since it means I’m probably not processing enough. But right now Daniel is in bed and Dave’s at work, so here I sit with a mug of hot apple cider (in one of my mugs from Malawi, of course, since they’re the best for apple cider.) I still don’t have any collected thoughts, but here are a few snippets that might give you a snapshot of our life right now.

- People often ask how we’re doing and I’m not always sure how to answer. I think we’re getting into a groove. I’m more comfortable in my role as a mom (although it still feels funny to see it in writing!) and we’re getting into some better routines.

- Daniel’s sleeping longer at night, which means I’m sleeping more too. Hurray!

- He’s more content to sit in the bouncy seat while I do other things – mainly eat or work in the kitchen. I’m cooking more often. I made pumpkin chocolate chip muffins this week that are really good. I’m cooking much more often than I am pulling things out of the freezer.

- I am absolutely loving the cloth diapers and I can’t imagine doing anything else. Daniel’s worn 3 paper diapers and they were all in the first 2 weeks. I’m really proud of that. It’s been fun trying out different types of diapers and finding out what we like best and what works best for different times of day. If you get me talking about diapers, I have to be careful not to go on and on!

- The house is not so neat and clean, which actually isn’t that unusual (unfortunately, I’m not known for being a neat freak), but it’s even more so with a baby. My top priority is taking care of Daniel and making sure that we have clean clothes to wear and food to eat.

- Everybody said that life would change when we had a baby, but I really had no idea how much. I had no idea how much time I would spend nursing, holding, walking, rocking. It’s been challenging for Dave and me to find time to spend together, though it’s getting a little better now that Daniel’s in bed earlier. For a while, we’d get Daniel to bed and all we could do was get ready for bed and crash. Even now, though, we tend to do a lot of tag teaming – one of us has Daniel while the other cooks dinner, washes dishes, does laundry, etc. We know that it’s important to focus on each other and our marriage, but it’s hard to know how to turn that knowledge into action. We’re not really sure what to do differently. Any tips from other parents?

- I started pumping a little bit of milk yesterday and we’re going to try giving Daniel a bottle. I’m still a little on the fence about it, though. Theoretically, I know it’s probably the best thing for him to be able to take a bottle sometimes, but part of me kind of hopes he won’t. I’m still not thrilled with the idea of him getting milk from a bottle and not just from me. But being able to take a bottle means that I could occasionally do some things in the evening and let Dave put Daniel to bed. Or it means that we’d be able to leave Daniel with someone while we go out for a couple hours. Besides, I don’t have any more good reasons to put it off.

- My dad keeps asking if Daniel does any tricks yet. He waves his arms and legs. He smiles at us when we talk to him. He’ll sometimes stick his tongue out if I do. He makes cute faces when he stretches. I don’t know if those count as “tricks,” but they’re fun to watch.

I guess that’s all for now. It’s 9:00, which means it’s time for me to go to bed. I’m hoping to post some pictures more pictures before too long, but not tonight.

5 comments:

Ruth Chowdhury said...

Thanks for the update! I've been wondering how you are. Sounds like you're doing just fine! As for tips on how to spend more time together, it really sounds like you're doing the best you can. Whenever baby is sleeping is when you get alone time, and the tag-team sounds great too. Just remember to be honest & communicate a lot; seeing what the other needs at this time in your lives. Yes, it's different... but isn't it so worth it!? I know you know it is. I just wanted to agree. ;) Love you!

his wife, their mama said...

It's great to hear how well you are doing. It's tough trying to find balance in one's life after such a wonderful blessed event. I can't imagine trying to work Dave's hours and shifts can always be easy, but simply taking advantage of the "smaller" moments you two have together is a great place to start. I'm a firm believer in making sure baby becomes a part of the life you and your husband have created, not the center of things. It's great that Daniel is more content in his bouncy seat, maybe you and Dave could use a few moments of that time to enjoy each other's company, have a conversation, even do the dishes together. I believe it's not the quantity, but the quality of time you and Dave are able to spend together. Balance will become easier, and you may find yourself constantly tweaking what works best for your family as schedules change and the little man becomes more mobile and independent.
I can tell you from my personal experience, it was very hard to have to give my wee ones a bottle, even worse that it wasn't my milk in it. It's wonderful that you are thinking that could be helpful in the future, but don't push yourself to do it if it just doesn't feel right yet. So many people can offer up so many pieces of advice, but you're the mommy, do what you feel is best for you all!
I think of you so often Sarah, and I hope that we'll come together again soon. I pray that you continue to enjoy your little man and all the changes he brings to your life. Things certainly do change after having children, and for me, I can't imagine life any other way. Love you!

Haley said...

So, I have to ask... What are your favorite cloth diapers so far? Right now we use prefolds (from Green Mountain Diapers - the best!) and Thirsties covers during the day, although for the first 2 months we used a combo of prefolds and Kissaluvs size 0. At night we use Dream-Eze fitteds with a Disana wool cover. We also have a couple of BumGenius one-size pockets for the diaper bag. Hooray for cloth! :)

Katie said...

Sounds like you're doing great! Everyone is right - you and Dave will find a groove that works, and keep adjusting it as your family grows and changes. It's different - and in some ways that's a little bit sad - but it's wonderful and challenging and very FULL too. :)
Do what you want to/need to with the bottle - Hazel never took one, and I got all kinds of people saying all kinds of things - and it didn't bother me that much. It's a season, and it ends... this time around though, I'm hoping Meriel will take one once in awhile - the constant attachment is a little draining - and it would be nice to sit at a bookstore for an hour and not worry that she's screaming at Mark or the sitter because they can't feed her.
The first 2-3 months are just blurry and busy - you'll start to come out of it and feel so much more at home in your new role.
:)
HUGS.

Tara said...

I know what you mean about being able to go on and on about diapers! Funny, huh?

Shea never ever took a bottle, even though we tried! When she she was about 6-7 months I took a *very* part-time teaching job and it was really stressful because she won't eat anything while I was gone! Maya took a bottle at a few weeks old but since we didn't keep her "in practice," she never really ended up taking one either. She's still nursing now at a year but it's not that stressful to leave for a few hours since she eats finger food too.

I'm with you on wanting them to have breastmilk straight from the source ;-) but if you have to/need to be away occasionally it might be worth at least getting him used to it.