Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Gotta love it

People often ask me how I like living in Michigan. I've been here for five years (can you believe it!?) and I've mostly gotten used to it. There are definitely things I miss about Kentucky (hills, anyone?) and about Louisville (it really is a fabulous place to live), but we do have things in Michigan that are hard to find anywhere else. Here are a few pictures of the gorgeous Upper Peninsula from our trip with my parents at the end of May. We visited Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore and Tahquamenon Falls. The weather was gorgeous while we were there, unlike the previous week when they had snow. Eek! Like I said, I'm mostly used to Michigan. To this Kentucky gal, May means warm, sunny and lots of flowers.

We did get some fabulous flowers, albeit south of the bridge:

And I'm getting better at depth of field:



Where else do you get fresh water this blue?

... and rock formations like these?



... that break up and wash up on the shore as stones like these?



Where else do you find beach grasses in such bright colors?


... and waterfalls so perfect for photographing?






Oh, I forgot to mention that Dave and I realized on this trip that within two months we had seen four of the five great lakes along with the Atlantic and Pacific oceans. In two years, we touched or swam in three quarters of the world's oceans. Seeing as we're not too likely to swim in the Arctic any time soon, we'll have to be content with that!

More pictures available here.

2 comments:

Courtney said...

I love the pictures!

Anonymous said...

Some real nice images.